Thanks to Vogue India’s article on the latest Must-Haves for Brides-to-be, I found this lovely picture of bangles make from silk and polki. This inspired me to write this D.I.Y. post. I know 2 ways of doing these bangles and this post will tell you of one of them, which is the easiest.
1) Fabrics of your choice: I picked Raw silk in pink in this post. Most of the fabrics I chose were leftovers from a few of my outfits. So I din’t really spend anything on them.
2) A few old bangles – preferably ones that are a size bigger than your normal size
3) DIY Studs or Nail Art Studs: You can also pick Polkis or Kundan stones.
4) Metallic Laces in Gold, Copper
5) The usual tools of Trade : Scissors, Scale, Marker, Glue, a needle and thread
Here’s what you have to do:
Wrap the cloth around the bangle to see how much you need and mark the same. Cut the amount of cloth you need in Strips.
Now start rolling the strip around the bangle from left to right covering the area under and over the bangle. Glue the cloth to the surface on the inner rim of the bangle. Do the same until the whole bangle is covered. Another option is to sew it but this might take up a lot of time.
Now for the decoration of the bangle pick up those metallic laces you chose earlier. and wrap then around the bangle by bring the lace under and over the bangle. Make sure you glue the lace on the inner rim of the bangle.
Once this is done take another piece of cloth and glue it on the inner surface of the bangle to cover all the glued area making it look a li’l more neat.
If you wish you may stick on the studs to decorate it or leave it just as is. My suggestion is that you decorate this scantily ‘coz it might get a li’l over the top. I did leave a few without decoration.
And now you have your very own Silk bangle to flaunt, that almost costed you nothing but a little less than an hour’s time.
It sure doesn’t look like the Inspiration pic because of lighting or various other reasons, but does serve the purpose. What do you think? Would love to hear your comments on this DIY !!